14th World Spice Congress
- Posted By
20th Oct, 2022
The 14th edition of the World Spice Congress is set to be organized in Mumbai, Maharashtra from February 16 to 18 next year.
- The World Spice Congress (WSC) is the gathering of the global spice industry that creates a platform to improve the understanding of the status and challenges of the spice sector.
- It was organized for the first time in 1990.
- Since then, 13 editions have been organized over the past 30 years.
- The 14th edition of the event will be organised by the Spices Board of India, which comes under the aegis of the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- This biennial event will focus on trade, sustainability, quality and food safety initiatives, recent developments, concerns, and prospects of the spice industry.
- It will bring together key players in the industry, including producers, traders, processors, exporters, and regulators from across the globe.
Theme: The theme for the 14th WSC is “Vision 2030: SPICES (Sustainability – Productivity – Innovation – Collaboration – Excellence and Safety)”
- Around 1,000 delegates from more than 50 countries are expected to take part in the event.
- The 2023 World Spice Congress will be organized as a G20 event, after India takes up the presidency from December 2022 to November 2023.
- Emphasis will be given to strengthening India’s trade ties with G20 countries.
- Regulatory authorities from major spice-importing countries of the G20 will discuss trade and other issues with the Indian Spice Industry.
- It will promote new business opportunities and boost trade ties while showcasing the capabilities of the Indian spice industry.
About Spices Board of India
- The Spices Board of India is a regulatory and export promotion body for Indian spices.
- It was set up in 1987 under the Spices Board Act, 1986 to promote the production and development of cardamom and the export of other species mentioned under Scheduled of the Act.
- It is headquartered in Kochi, Kerala.