C-295MW Transport Aircraft
- Posted By
Polity & Governance
29th Oct, 2022
The Prime Minister will lay the foundation stone of the Vadodara transport aircraft manufacturing facility on October 30.
- This is the first project of its kind in which a military aircraft will be manufactured in India by a private company.
- 16 aircraft will be delivered in flyaway condition and 40 will be manufactured in India by the Indian Aircraft Contractor, TATA Consortium of Tata Advanced Systems Limited and Tata Consultancy Services.
- In September 2021, Cabinet Committee on Security had approved the procurement of 56 C-295MW transport aircraft from Airbus Defence and Space S.A.
- The first 16 fly-away aircraft are scheduled to be received between September 2023 and August 2025.
- The first Made in India aircraft is expected in September 2026.
- The aircraft can be used for civilian purposes also.
- All 56 aircraft will be fitted with indigenous Electronic Warfare suite of Indian DPSUs – Bharat Electronics Ltd and Bharat Dynamics Limited.
- After completion of delivery of 56 aircraft to IAF, M/s Airbus Defence & Space will be allowed to sell the aircraft manufactured in India to civil operators and export to countries which are cleared by the Government of India.
- Promote Atmanirbhar Bharat: This will provide a major boost to the ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan’ as it offers a unique opportunity for the Indian private sector to enter into the technology-intensive and highly competitive aviation Industry.
- Private Participation: This is the first project of its kind in which a military aircraft will be manufactured in India by a private company.
- Boost to the aerospace ecosystem in India: as a large number of detail parts, sub-assemblies and major component assemblies of aerostructure were scheduled to be manufactured in India.
- Boost to MSME Sector in India: As several Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises spread over the country would be involved in the manufacturing parts of the aircraft.
- Employment Generation: The program will act as a catalyst in employment generation in the aerospace ecosystem of the country.
- Infrastructure development: It will involve the development of specialized infrastructure in form of hangars, buildings, aprons, and taxiways.
- C-295MW is a transport aircraft of 5-10 tonne capacity with contemporary technology that will replace the ageing Avro aircraft of IAF.
- It has a rear ramp door for quick reaction and para dropping of troops and cargo.
- It can carry around 40-45 paratroopers or around 70 passengers.
- Short take-off/land from semi-prepared surfaces is another of its features.
- The aircraft will strengthen the logistic capabilities of the IAF.