Cabinet approves the Investment Proposal for Ratle Hydro Power Project
- Posted By
21st Jan, 2021
In a significant decision, the Union Cabinet has approved the investment of Rs 5281.94 crores for 850 MW Ratle Hydro Electric (HE) Project.
Ratle Hydro Electric (HE) Project
- Ratle Hydro Electric (HE) Project is located on river Chenab, in Kishtwar district of Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- A new Joint Venture Company (JVC) is to be incorporated between National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC) and Jammu & Kashmir State Power Development Corporation Ltd (JKSPDC) with equity contribution of 51% and 49% respectively.
- The Ratle Hydro Electric Project shall be commissioned within a span of 60 months.
- The Power generated from the Project will help in providing balancing of Grid and will improve the power supply position.
J&K’s hydro power potential
- J&K has over 20,000 MW of hydro power potential, out of which 16,000 MW has been identified.
- While the 1,000 MW Pakal Dul project and 624 MW Kiru are already under execution by Chenab Valley Power Project Private Limited (CVPPL), a Joint Venture of JKSPDC, NHPC and PTC India limited, the 540 MW Kwar is likely to be taken up shortly.
Significance of the Project
- The construction activities of the Project will result in direct and indirect employment to around 4000 persons.
- It will contribute in overall socio-economic development of the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Further, Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir will be benefitted by getting free power.