DRDO carries out maiden test of Phase-II of ballistic missile defence
- Posted By
Science & Technology
3rd Nov, 2022
The Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) conducted the maiden flight-test of Phase-II of the ballistic missile defence (BMD) interceptor missile successfully.
- The AD-1 is a long-range interceptor missile designed for both low exo-atmospheric and endo-atmospheric interception of long-range ballistic missiles as well as aircraft.
- It is propelled by a two-stage solid motor and equipped with an indigenously-developed advanced control system, navigation and guidance algorithm to precisely guide the vehicle to the target.
- The flight-test was carried out from APJ Abdul Kalam Island off the coast of Odisha with participation of all BMD weapon system elements located at different geographical locations.
- During the flight-test, all the sub-systems performed as per expectations and were validated by the data captured by a number of range sensors including Radar, Telemetry and Electro Optical Tracking stations deployed to capture the flight data.
- This interceptor will provide great operational flexibility to the users.
- It has the capability to engage different types of targets.