HINDU-KUSH-HIMALAYAN (HKH) REGION
- Posted By
12th Oct, 2020
- The India Meteorological Department (IMD) will collaborate with meteorological agencies in China and Pakistan to provide climate forecast services to countries in HKH region
- HKH region spans Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan.
- The HKH region is considered the Third Pole [after the North and South Poles], and has significant implications for climate.
- It contains vast cryosphere zones, is also the world’s largest store of snow and ice outside the polar region, and the source of 10 major rivers.
- There are proposals to establish a regional climate center that will provide forecasting services and climate analyses, which will be under World Meteorological Organization