India has highest number of stillbirths
- Posted By
13th Oct, 2020
- Report: A neglected tragedy: The global burden of stillbirths 2020.
- Released by: UN Inter-agency group for child mortality estimation.
- Stillbirth: It means a baby born with no signs of life at 28 weeks of pregnancy or more.
- Report aims topresent the number of babies that are stillborn every year due to pregnancy and birth-related complications, the absence of health workers and basic services.
- One stillbirth occurs every 16 seconds which means that about 2 million babies are stillborn every year.
- Around 0.34 million of the 1.9 million stillbirths globally in 2019 were in India making it the country with the largest such burden.
- India along with five other countries — Pakistan, Nigeria, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, China and Ethiopia — accounted for nearly half of all stillbirths in the world.