International Day for the Conservation of the Mangrove Ecosystems 2020
- Posted By
30th Jul, 2020
- The International Day for the Conservation of the Mangrove Ecosystems is celebrated worldwide on July 26th of every year.
- The day was adopted by the General Conference of UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation) in the year 2015.
- This day is also known as ‘World Mangrove day’.
- Its Aim is to raise awareness of the importance of mangrove ecosystems as “a unique, special and vulnerable ecosystem” and to promote solutions for their sustainable management, conservation and uses.
- Mangrove forests reduce the natural hazards like, reduce coastal erosion, tsunami and reduce the height of the storm. They nourish biodiversity as nursery grounds for many coastal and marine species and support fisheries.