Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid homage to all those who lost their lives in Kargil protecting our nation on Kargil Vijay Diwas.
About Kargil Vijay Diwas
- Kargil Vijay Diwas is celebrated every year on 26 July, in honour of the Kargil War's Heroes.
- The day is celebrated in the Kargil sector and the national capital, where the Prime Minister of India pays homage to the soldiers at the Amar Jawan Jyoti at India Gate every year.
- Functions are also organized all over the country to commemorate the contributions of the armed forces.
Genesis of Kargil War
- The genesis of the Kargil War can be traced back to
- In the year, India took control of the highest battlefield in the world: the Siachen Glacier, following Operation Meghdoot.
- It is also known as the Kargil conflict.
- This was an armed conflict that was fought between India and Pakistan in 1999 in the Kargil district of Kashmir and along the Line of Control (LoC).
- In India, the conflict is also referred to as Operation Vijay which was the name of the Indian military operation to clear out the Kargil sector.