Kerala to host dragonfly festival
- Posted By
24th Aug, 2020
- Kerala is preparing to host the first-ever State Dragonfly Festival- Thumbimahotsavam 2020.
- This is part of a National dragonfly festival being organised by the WWF India, Bombay Natural History Society & Indian Dragonfly Society.
- It is celebrated in association with the National Biodiversity Board, United Nations Environment Programme, United Nations Development Programme and IUCN – Centre for Environment Conservation.
- Official Mascot: Pantalu.
- Training will be organised to get more people trained on dragonflies to act as resource persons for upcoming events.
- A dragonfly backyard watch has been announced to enhance participation of people and improve their observation skills.
- Dragonflies belong to the order Odonata and are ecologically important insects of freshwater habitats.
- The Western Ghats are home to about 196 species of odonates, more than 40% of which are endemic to the region.