LNG truck-loading unit of Shell India at Hazira
- Posted By
20th Jan, 2021
Shell India has started LNG truck-loading unit at Hazira. This is another big step towards a cleaner and greener future for India.
About the Unit
- The truck-loading unit will augment Shell's natural gas supply offerings in India to include the supply of LNG via trucks.
- The unit will boost the availability of natural gas in off-grid areas where there are no gas pipelines.
- It will also promote the use of LNG in long-haul trucking.
Shell Energy India
- Shell Energy India owns and operates a 5 million tonnes a year LNG import terminal at Hazira (Surat), Gujarat.
- The terminal has been in operation since 2005 and received more than 600 LNG cargoes to date.
Status of LNG in India
- India is the 4thlargest importer of LNG in the world
- It is expected to increase from 8.5%, of the total energy sources, now to 20% in 2025.
- Regasification terminals and natural gas pipeline are being developed in various parts of the country, which would strengthen the development of LNG market in India.
- The government is promoting the use of natural gas through various policy and regulatory reforms towards making India a gas-based economy by raising the share of gas in the nation's primary energy mix to 15 percent from the current 6.2 percent.
Existing Operational R-LNG Terminals capacity of India
Importers of LNG to India
- Middle East, in particular Qatar, was the sole supplier of LNG to India till 2004.
- India started diversifying its supply portfolio from 2006 onwards and imported LNG from many other countries including Algeria, Nigeria, Yemen, Australia, Trinidad and Tobago, Russia, UAE, Norway, Indonesia and Oman.
Usage of LNG (Sector-wise)
- India uses LNGas a feedstock in the manufacturing of fertilizers, plastics and other commercially important organic chemicals.
- It is also usedas a fuel for electricity generation, and for heating purposes in industrial and commercial units.
Significance of the latest development
- Increasing competition in the LNG sector
- Emergence of new markets
- In creating new employment opportunities
- Ensure cleaner fuels for industries
- Facilitate environment conservation.
- Help in build an Aatmanirbhar Bharat