Longitudinal Ageing Study of India (LASI) Wave-1, India Report
- Posted By
Polity & Governance
7th January, 2021
- Ministry for Health & Family Welfare released INDIA REPORT on Longitudinal Ageing Study of India (LASI) Wave-1 on the virtual platform.
What is LASI?
- It is a full–scale national survey of scientific investigation of the health, economic, and social determinants and consequences of population ageing in India.
- Longitudinal Ageing Study of India (LASI) will provide evidence base for national and state level programmes and policies for elderly population.
How this survey is different from other surveys?
- A unique feature of LASI is the coverage of comprehensive biomarkers.
- No other survey in India collects detailed data on health and biomarkers together with information on family and social network, income, assets, and consumption.
Which organizations conducted the study?
- The National Programme for Health Care of Elderly, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare has undertaken the Longitudinal Ageing Study of India.
- The International Institute for Population Sciences, (IIPS), Mumbai in collaboration with Harvard School of Public Health, University of Southern California,USA, Dte.GHS, United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) and National Institute on Ageing.
Significance of the Survey
- It is India’s first and the world’s largest ever survey that provides a longitudinal database for designing policies and programmes for the older population in the broad domains of social, health, and economic well-being.
- The evidence from LASI will be used to further strengthen and broaden the scope of National Programme for Health Care of the Elderly.
- It will help in establishing a range of preventive and health care programmes for older population and most vulnerable among them.
- It will support the Ayushman Bharat Yojana which focuses on expansion of the healthcare facilities.