NTPC to set up India’s single largest solar park at Rann of Kutch
- Posted By
15th Jul, 2021
NTPC successfully commissioned Floating Solar parkat Rann of Kutch, Gujarat.
About the new solar park
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) gave a nod to NTPC to set up a 4750 MW renewable energy park at Rann of Kutch in Khavada, Gujarat.
- This will be India’s largest solar park to be built by the largest power producer in the country.
- NTPC Renewable Energy Ltd (NTPC REL), has been given the go-ahead by MNRE under Mode 8 (Ultra Mega Renewable Energy Power Park) of the Solar Park Scheme.
- NTPC REL has plans to generate green hydrogen on a commercial scale from this park.
Solar Park Scheme
- It is an initiative under the National Solar Mission.
- The scheme aims to provide a huge impetus to solar energy generation by acting as a flagship demonstration facility to encourage project developers and investors, prompting additional projects of similar nature, triggering economies of scale for costreductions, technical improvements, and achieving large scale reductions in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
- It would enable States to bring in significant investment from project developers, meet their solar renewable purchase obligation (RPO) mandate, and provide employment opportunities to the local population.
- The State will also reduce its carbon footprint by avoiding emissions equivalent to the solar park’s installed capacity and generation.
Other Floating Solar projects
- NTPC has also commissioned India’s largest Floating Solar of 10 MW (ac) on the reservoir of Simhadri Thermal Power Plant, Andhra Pradesh.
- An additional 15 MW (ac) would be commissioned by August 2021.
- A 100 MW Floating Solar Project on the reservoir of Ramagundam Thermal Power Plant, Telangana is in the advanced stage of implementation.