Passage Exercise (PASSEX)
- Posted By
22nd Jul, 2020
- Indian naval ships conducted a Passage Exercise (PASSEX) with the U.S. Navy’s USS Nimitz carrier strike group near the Andaman and Nicobar islands as it is transiting the Indian Ocean.
- The exercise comes amid a high alert by the Navy in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) due to the standoff with China along the border in Ladakh.
- As part of this exercise, four frontline naval ships, Shivalik, Sahyadri, Kamorta and Rana including a stealth corvette, teamed up with carrier USS Nimitz and three other U.S. ships in the eastern Indian Ocean near the islands.
- On June 27, JS Kashima and JS Shimayuki from the Japanese Maritime Self Defence Force (JMSDF) training squadron had conducted a PASSEX with INS Rana and INS Kulish in the Indian Ocean.
- The Navy is keeping a close watch on the movement in the IOR of Chinese naval ships, whose presence has gone up considerably over the years in the name of antipiracy patrols.
- In 2017, China opened its first overseas military base in Djibouti in the Horn of Africa.