The Centre recently said that it will determine the jurisdictions of the Krishna and Godavari river management boards (KRMB and GRMB).
- Posted By
11th Oct, 2020
- It was announced during the meeting of the apex council involving the Centre, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
- The meeting was held primarily to resolve the conflict between the two States over executing irrigation projects and sharing water from the Krishna and Godavari rivers.
- The apex council has been constituted by the Central Government under the provisions of Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act (APRA), 2014.
- It supervises the functioning of the Godavari River Management Board and Krishna River Management Board.
- It comprises the Union Jal Shakti Minister and the Chief Ministers of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
- Outcomes of the meeting. The two states would submit Detailed Project Reports (DPR) of new irrigation projects for appraisal and sanction by the apex council.
- The apex council would work towards establishing a mechanism to determine the share of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana in the Krishna and Godavari waters.
- The Centre is expected to refer water sharing issues to the Krishna Godavari tribunal.
- The headquarters of the KRMB would be located in Andhra Pradesh.