UN’s State of Food Security and Nutrition annual report
- Posted By
16th Jul, 2020
- In accordance with the United Nations'(UN) annual report 8.9% of the world’s population, went hungry in 2019, an increase of 10 million since 2018 and of nearly 60 million since 2014.
- The number of hungry people worldwide has been slowly rising and if this trend continues, the number of undernourished people will exceed 840 million by 2030.
- The Titled of the report is the state of food security and nutrition in the world- Transforming food systems for affordable healthy diets”.
- The report has been prepared by 5 UN agencies, Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), World Food Programme (WFP) and World Health
- Organization (WHO).
- Asia is home to the greatest number of undernourished people.
- 3 billion people or more can’t afford to acquire the food needed for a healthy diet.
- If current food consumption patterns continue, diet-related health costs linked to mortality and diet-related non-communicable diseases are projected to exceed USD 1.3 trillion per year by 2030.