What is the new single-window clearance for coal, and how will it help?
- Posted By
13th January, 2021
- The Union government has announced a new online single window clearance portal for the coal sector.
What is single-window clearance portal?
- A single window clearance portal is aimed at allowing successful bidders for coal blocks to be able to obtain all required clearances, including environmental and forest clearances, from a single portal with progress monitoring, instead of having to go to multiple authorities.
How is the move significant?
- The portal should allow successful bidders to operationalize coal mines more quickly.
- In the absence of unified platform for grant of clearances companies were required to approach different departments, leading to delay in operationalization of the coal mines.
- Some coal blocks auctioned as far back as 2015 has still not been operationalized due to delays in obtaining required clearances.