World’s longest Metro line opened in Shanghai
- Posted By
5th Jan, 2022
Recently, World’s longest Metro Line has been opened in China’s Shanghai Province.
- With this inauguration, Shanghai upholds its rank as the city with the largest Metro network worldwide.
- The city opened two new metro lines – Line 14 and Phase One of Line 18.
- The opening of two new lines has increased the total number of fully automatic metro lines in Shanghai to five, having an operating length of 167 km.
- Now, there are 20 metro lines and 508 stations in Shanghai. Out of 508 stations, 83 are transfer ones.
- Shanghai is one of the four direct-administered municipalities in China.
- It is located on the southern estuary of Yangtze River.
- Huangpu River also flows through it.
- The city is the most populous urban area in China as well as the most populous city in the world.
- It is the only city in East Asia, having its GDP greater than its corresponding capital.
- The city is a global center for finance, research, business & economics, manufacturing, education, science & technology, tourism, culture & transportation.
- The Port of Shanghai is the busiest container port of the world.
- Shanghai is the headquarters of the New Development Bank.