5th India Water Impact Summit
- Posted By
12th Dec, 2020
- The 5thIndia Water Impact Summit (IWIS) is started with focus on Arth Ganga - river conservation synchronised development.
What is IWIS?
- The first summit was organized in 2012.
- The summit IWIS was organised by the National Mission for Clean Ganga and Center for Ganga River Basin Management.
- It will bring together various stakeholders to discuss, debate and develop model solutions to some of the biggest water related issues in the country.
What is the aim of IWIS?
- This summit is aimed at discussing and disseminating the needs for the modalities of embracing Arth Ganga.
- The 5thIWIS will forge greater interaction between investors and stakeholders in the water sector and promote international cooperation between India and many foreign countries for water and river management.”
What is the theme of the summit?
- The theme of the summit is “comprehensive analysis and holistic management of local rivers and water bodies”.
National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG)
- Itwas registered as a society on 12th August 2011 under the Societies Registration Act 1860.
- It acted as implementation arm of National Ganga River Basin Authority(NGRBA) which was constituted under the provisions of the Environment (Protection) Act (EPA),1986.
- NGRBA has since been dissolved with effect from the 7th October 2016, consequent to constitution of National Council for Rejuvenation, Protection and Management of River Ganga (referred as National Ganga Council).
The Act envisages five tier structure at national, state and district level to take measures for prevention, control and abatement of environmental pollution in river Ganga and to ensure continuous adequate flow of water so as to rejuvenate the river Ganga as below;
- National Ganga Council under chairmanship of Hon’ble Prime Minister of India.
- Empowered Task Force (ETF) on river Ganga under chairmanship of Hon’ble Union Minister of Jal Shakti (Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation).
- National Mission for Clean Ganga(NMCG).
- State Ganga Committees
- District Ganga Committees in every specified district abutting river Ganga and its tributaries in the states.