Air Quality Commission stresses on the need to switch over to PNG
- Posted By
23rd Dec, 2020
- The Commission for Air Quality Management in NCR and Adjoining Areas reviewed the progress of switching over of Industries operating in Delhi to Piped Natural Gas.
- The air quality in Delhi, the capital territory of India, according to a WHO survey of 1,650 world cities, is the worst of any major city in the world.
- A study that appeared in the Lancet recently said that the state suffered the highest per-capita economic loss due to air pollution last year.
What is Piped Natural Gas?
- Piped Natural gas (PNG) is used for Domestic, Commercial and Industrial Consumption.
- PNG has several distinctions to its credit-of being a pollution free fuel, economical and safer fuel being few of them.
- Few benefits are as under: Uninterrupted Supply: PNG is being supplied through pipe 24X 7.
Reason behind the switch
- The Commission stressed the need to switch over to PNG by all identified Industries in Delhi considering the fact that industrial sector is one of the major contributors to air pollution in Delhi and National Capital Region.
- Natural gas is a non-renewable hydrocarbon.
- Natural gas is a naturally occurring hydrocarbon gas mixture consisting primarily of methane, but commonly including varying amounts of other higher alkanes, and sometimes a small percentage of carbon dioxide, nitrogen, hydrogen sulfide, or helium.
- It is formed when layers of decomposing plant and animal matter are exposed to intense heat and pressure under the surface of the Earth over millions of years.
- Natural gas is found in deep underground rock formations or associated with other hydrocarbon reservoirs in coal beds and as methane clathrates.