Automatic Generation Control(AGC)
- Posted By
Science & Technology
6th Jan, 2022
Recently, the Union Minister of Power and New & Renewable Energy has launched the Automatic Generation Control (AGC).
About Automatic Generation Control
- This is expected to facilitate achieving the government’s ambitious target of 500 GW non-fossil fuel-based generation capacity by 2030.
- The AGC is being operated by Power System Operation Corporation (POSOCO) through the National Load Despatch Centre.
- Through AGC, NLDC (National Load Despatch Centre) sends signals to more than 50 power plants in the country every 4 seconds to maintain the frequency and reliability of the Indian Power System.
- This will ensure more efficient and automatic frequency control for handling variable and intermittent renewable generation.
Power System Operation Corporation (POSOCO)
- Power System Operation Corporation Limited (POSOCO) is a wholly owned Government of India enterprise under the Ministry of Power.
- It was earlier a wholly owned subsidiary of Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (PGCIL).
- It was formed in 2009.
- It is responsible to ensure the integrated operation of the Grid in a reliable, efficient, and secure manner.
- It consists of 5 Regional Load Despatch Centres and a National Load Despatch Centre (NLDC).