Recently, the Ministry of Commerce & Industry has declared the Assessment of States/UTs based on the implementation of the Business Reforms Action Plan for the year 2020.
- Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) initiated the Business Reform Action Plan (BRAP) exercise of ranking all Indian states/UTs in 2014 based on the reforms undertaken by the states, across a set of designated parameters.
- DPIIT undertakes this exercise with the aim of providing a conducive business environment by simplifying regulations and ranking the states in terms of various Ease of Doing Business (EoDB) measures.
About BRAP 2020
- The BRAP 2020 includes 301 reform points covering 15 business regulatory areas such as Access to Information, Single Window System, Labour, Environment, Land Administration & Transfer of Land and Property, Utility Permits and others.
- Unlike previous years, where States/UTs were ranked, this year they have been placed under the four categories viz. Top Achievers, Achievers, Aspirers and Emerging Business Ecosystems.
Rankings of BRAP 2020
- DPIIT has assessed and grouped States/UTs into broad category-wise segmentation to recognize and identify the exemplary reform measures undertaken by the States/UTs to improve business environment.
- Top Achievers: Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Punjab, Tamil Nadu and Telangana.
- Achievers category: Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh.
- Aspirers: Assam, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Jharkhand, Kerala, Rajasthan and West Bengal.
- Emerging Business Ecosystems category: Andaman & Nicobar, Bihar, Chandigarh, Daman & Diu, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Delhi, Jammu & Kashmir, Manipur, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Puducherry and Tripura.