Centre inks 5 deals for digital agriculture push
- Posted By
16th Sep, 2021
The ministry of agriculture signed agreements with five firms to push a project to harness big data from the farm sector for a digitised platform known as “Agri Stack”.
What is Digital Agriculture?
- Digital agriculture is the use of digital technology to integrate agricultural production from the paddock to the consumer.
- These technologies can provide the agricultural industry with tools and information to make more informed decisions and improve productivity.
- The agri-stack will aid precise targeting of subsidies, services and policies.
- Under the programme, each farmer of the country would be assigned an FID, or a farmers’ ID, linked to land records to uniquely identify them.
- India has 140 million operational farm-land holdings.
- The database will connect seemingly simple data points: the number of occupational farmers who avail of subsidies, how much land they own, what they grow and which agro-climatic zones they fall in.
- These data points will be triangulated by software-driven intelligence that will throw up a far more illuminating picture of the rural and agricultural economy.
- ‘AgriStack’ is a collection of technology-based interventions in agriculture.
- It aims to create a unified platform for farmers to provide them end to end services across the agriculture food value chain.