COVID-19 impact on Education
- Posted By
6th Aug, 2020
- According to a report by the UNESCO, 24 million may drop out of school due to COVID-19 impact.
- More than 1.6 billion learners across the world have been affected by the disruption of the education system.
- Almost 24 million children are at risk of not returning to school next year due to the economic fallout of COVID-19.
- Girls and young women are likely to be disproportionately affected. School closures make them more vulnerable to child marriage, early pregnancy and gender-based violence.
- The COVID-19 crisis is likely to increase that financing gap by up to one-third.
- The educational financing gap is also likely to increase by one third.
- The pandemic has also highlighted existing disparities, with vulnerable populations in low-income countries taking a harder and longer hit.
- In the second quarter of 2020, 86% of children at the primary level have been effectively out of school in poor countries, compared to just 20% in highly developed countries