DRDO successfully tests new generation Akash missile
- Posted By
Science & Technology
28th Jan, 2021
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully conducted the maiden test of the New Generation Akash missile (Akash-NG).
What is Akash-NG?
- Akash-NGis a medium-range mobile surface-to-air missile defense system.
- The new generation missile system has been developed with better deployability compared to other similar systems with canisterized launcher and much smaller ground system footprint.
- Developed by: It is developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- Produced by: The missile is produced by Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) and Bharat Electronics (BEL).
What does it aim for?
- Akash-NG is a new generation Surface to Air Missile meant for use by Indian Air Force with an aim of intercepting high maneuvering low RCS (Radar Cross Section) aerial threats.