Electricity (Rights of Consumers) Rules, 2020
- Posted By
22nd Dec, 2020
- Union Government for the first time lays down Rights to the Electricity Consumers through “Electricity (Rights of Consumers) Rules, 2020”
What are the key areas covered under theElectricity (Rights of consumers) Rules?
- Rights of consumers and Obligations of Distribution licensees
- Release of new connection and modification in existing connection
- Metering arrangement
- Billing and Payment
- Disconnection and Reconnection
- Reliability of supply
- Consumer as Prosumer
- Standards of Performance of licensee
- Compensation Mechanism
- Call Centre for Consumer Services
- Grievance redressal mechanism
How these rules will help?
- These rules shall empower the consumers of electricity.
- These rules are also an important step towards furthering the ease of doing business across the country.
- Implementation of these Rules shall ensure that new electricity connections, refunds and other services are given in a time bound manner.
- Wilful disregard to consumer rights will result in levying penalties on service providers.