GIS-based Geospatial Energy Map of India launched
- Posted By
Science & Technology
20th Oct, 2021
In a significant development, NITI Aayog launched a Geographic Information System (GIS)-based Energy Map of India.
What is GIS-based Energy Map of India?
- Developed by: NITI Aayog in collaboration with Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) with the support of Energy Ministries of Government of India.
- The GIS map provides a holistic picture of all energy resources of the country which enables visualisation of energy installations such as
- conventional power plants
- oil and gas wells, petroleum refineries
- coal fields and coal blocks
- district-wise data on renewable energy power plants
- renewable energy resource potential through 27 thematic layers
- The map attempts to identify and locate all primary and secondary sources of energy and their transportation/transmission networks to provide a comprehensive view of energy production and distribution in a country.
Significance of the initiative
- Effective organization of scattered data: It aims to integrate energy data scattered across multiple organizations and present it in a consolidated, visually appealing graphical manner.
- Interactive and user-friendly: It leverages the latest advancements in web-GIS technology and open-source software to make it interactive and user friendly.
- Better policy formulation and decision making: The Geospatial Energy Map of India will be useful in planning and making investment decisions.
- Disaster Management: It will also aid in disaster management using available energy assets.