Government launches Green Room Air Conditioners on World Environment Day
- Posted By
8th Jun, 2021
On the occasion of World Environment Day, a new product category of Green Room Air Conditioners was launched on the Government e-Marketplace (GeM) by the Department of Commerce.
- The launch event was organized in association with United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
What are Green Room Air Conditioners?
- Green Room Air Conditioners are environment friendly and efficient system.
- Adoption of this eco-friendly system will complement the country's climate policy objectives.
- The addition of Green Room Air Conditioners on GeM is another example of GeM being a futuristic and technology driven platform, focusing on environmental, social and economic pillars of sustainable public procurement
- The purchase of Green RACs shall be a voluntary approach.
About the World Environment Day 2021
- World Environment Day (5th June) is the United Nations day for encouraging worldwide awareness and action to protect our environment.
- World Environment 2021 theme is 'ecosystem restoration' - a global mission to revive billions of hectares, from forests to farmlands, from the top of mountains to the depth of the sea
- This World Environment Day also witnessed the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration (2021-2030).
Government steps towards a circular and green economy
- In March 2018, the Ministry of Finance constituted a Task Force on Sustainable Public Procurement.
- Draft National Resource Efficiency Policy (2019) includes the agenda of Sustainable Public Procurement that suggests establishing green procurement guidelines providing information on resource efficiency criteria to be used in the procurement processes for the prioritized products/service categories.
- Sustainable Public Procurement (SPP) initiative of the Government of India with initial focus on three prioritized product categories including paper, disinfectant and Green Room Air Conditioners.
- SPP is a key element in attaining a wide range of goals in strategic spending and implementation as a policy instrument to support programmes in priority areas and formulating national sustainable development strategies.
Government e Marketplace
- Government e Marketplace is an online platform for public procurement in India.
- The initiative was launched on August 9, 2016 by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- Its objective is to create an open and transparent procurement platform for government buyers.