Gujarat Gaay Gauri Mela called off over Covid restrictions
- Posted By
14th Nov, 2020
- Gujarat Gaay Gauri Mela is called off over Covid restrictions. People say that they will decorate cattle and offer prayers indoors.
Key Heighlights of the festival
- The annual Gaay Gauri Mela is a customary tribal event to mark the New year after Diwali.
- This festival is much similar to the famous annual Spanish bull run festival.
- In this festival, the cows and bulls are bejewelled and decorated with hand-paintings.
- The annual festival held a day after Diwali to mark the Hindu New Year.
- The bulls, painted bright and their horns adorned with peacock feathers and glitter.
- Farmers burst firecrackers to trigger the animals to run over those prostrating before the herd.
Why it is celebrated?
- Villagers colour their cattle and feed them good things and sweets in the morning and seek forgiveness for the troubles they give them throughout the year
- Then we allow them to run over us as compensation for the troubles they bear for them.
- If their feet stamp over our backs, it is considered to be the blessings from the gods and goddesses
What are the restrictions put up by administration?
- The use of airborne firecrackers during the event, especially rockets, are prohibited since 2012.
- The prohibitory order that is in place as part of the Disaster Management Act also applies to this event.