Recently, the Prime Minister has inaugurated the headquarters of the Indian National Space Promotion and Authorization Centre (IN-SPACe) in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
What is IN-SPACe?
- It is an autonomous and single window nodal agency in the Department of Space for the promotion, encouragement and regulation of space activities of both government and private entities.
- The establishment of IN-SPACe was announced in June 2020.
- It also facilitates the usage of ISRO facilities by private entities.
- It comprises technical experts for space activities along with safety experts, academic experts and legal and strategic experts from other departments.
- It also comprises members from PMO and MEA of Government of India.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Space activities including building of launch vehicles and satellites and providing space based services as per the definition of space activities.
- Sharing of space infrastructure and premises under the control of ISRO with due considerations to on-going activities.
- Establishment of temporary facilities within premises under ISRO control based on safety norms and feasibility assessment.
Significance of IN-SPACe
- IN-SPACe will create opportunities for both the government and the private sector.
- IN-SPACe is a step towards reforming the space sector, freeing it from all restrictions, and supporting the private industry.
- IN-SPACe needs to work continuously for making the gains of space technology accessible to the people of the country.