India to host Indian Ocean Region Defence Ministers’ Conclave
- Posted By
4th Feb, 2021
India is going to host Indian Ocean Region (IOR) Defence Ministers’ Conclave on the margins of Aero India 2021 - Asia’s largest Aero show to be held at Bengaluru.
About the conclave
- Theme: ‘Enhanced Peace, Security and Cooperation in the Indian Ocean’.
- The conclave is an initiative to promote dialogue in an institutional, economic and cooperative environment that can foster the development of peace, stability and prosperity in the Indian Ocean region.
Indian Ocean Region (IOR)
- Indian Ocean Region (IOR) composed of Indian Ocean and the countries bordering it.
- It is home to one-third of the world's population.
- The Indian Ocean Region (IOR)comprises of the Indian Ocean and the countries bordering it.
- It includes Australia, India, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Madagascar, Somalia, Tanzania, South Africa, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.
- The region is home to around 2.5 billion people or one-third of the population of our planet.
- The IOR has four important waterways-- Suez Canal (Egypt), Bab el Mandeb (Djibouti-Yemen), Strait of Hormuz (Iran-Oman), and Strait of Malacca (Indonesia-Malaysia).
- The main seaports of IOR are-- Chennai (Madras, India); Colombo (Sri Lanka); Durban (South Africa); Jakarta (Indonesia); Kolkata(Calcutta, India); Melbourne (Australia); Mumbai (Bombay, India); Richards Bay (South Africa). Let us have a look at the major groups associated with the Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
- The Indian Ocean is the third largest ocean in the world.
- It has 51 coastal and landlocked states-- 26 Indian Ocean Rim (IOR) states, 5 Red Sea states, 4 Persian Gulf states, Saudi Arabia, France, Britain and 13 landlocked states.