India to host two-day UNSC's counter-terrorism meet
- Posted By
28th Oct, 2022
The UNSC's counter-terrorism meeting is being hosted in Mumbai and Delhi on 28 and 29 October, respectively.
- This will be the first such meeting of the UNSC-CTC in India since its establishment in 2001.
- The Permanent Representative of India to the UN serves as the Chair of the CTC for 2022.
- The theme of the meeting is ‘Countering the use of new and emerging technologies for terrorist purposes’.
About Counter terrorism Committee of UNSC
- The Counter-Terrorism Committee was established by Security Council resolution 1373 adopted unanimously on 28 September 2001 in the wake of the 9/11 terror attacks in the US.
- It is a subsidiary body of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
- It is 15-member committee set up to implement the UN resolution obligating member states to criminalize support for terrorist activities and stop financial aid and harbouring of terrorists.
- In 2004, the Counter-Terrorism Committee Executive Directorate (CTED) was established to provide expert advice for Counter-Terrorism Committee.
- The CTED also provides technical aid for the member countries and promotes their collaboration at various international forums.