The National Institute of Urban Affairs’ (NIUA) Climate Centre for Cities (NIUA C-Cube), World Resources Institute India (WRI India) and their partners launched India’s first national coalition platform for urban nature-based solutions (NbS) at the 11th World Urban Forum in Poland.
India Forum for Nature-based Solutions
- ‘India Forum for Nature-based Solutions’ is led by the National Institute of Urban Affairs’ Climate Centre for Cities (NIUA C-Cube) and anchored by World Resources Institute India (WRI India) under the Cities4Forests initiative.
- It is supported by Caterpillar Foundation, Department of Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA), Govt. of the United Kingdom and Norway’s International Climate and Forest Initiative (NICFI).
- The Cities4Forests initiative helps cities around the world connect with and invest in inner forests (such as city trees and urban parks), nearby forests (such as green corridors and watersheds) and faraway forests (such as tropical and boreal forests).
- Kochi, Hyderabad and Mumbai are participating city in the initiative.
Objective of the Forum
The India Forum for Nature-based Solutions aims to create a collective of NbS entrepreneurs, government entities and like-minded organisations, to help scale urban nature-based solutions by
- Defining a shared language and by communicating benefits that inform actions at the local level including scaling up of existing NbS interventions.
- Driving investment and strengthening delivery mechanisms through multi-stakeholder coordination.
- Mainstreaming urban ecosystem-based services and nature-based solutions in India through informing policy, plans and project interventions