Innovative Patient-Friendly RT-PCR Testing Method developed
- Posted By
Science & Technology
1st Jun, 2021
Scientists of Nagpur-based National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI) have developed a 'Saline Gargle RT-PCR Method' for testing COVID-19 samples.
Key points about the test
- It is simple, fast, cost-effective, patient-friendly and comfortable.
- It also offers instant results as swab collection method and other methods require time.
- Sampling is done instantly and results will be generated within 3 hours.
- The test is well-suited for rural and tribal areas, given minimal infrastructure requirements.
- The Saline Gargle RT-PCR method is instant, comfortable and patient-friendly.
Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)
- It is a laboratory technique combining reverse transcription of RNA into DNA and amplification of specific DNA targets using polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
- It is primarily used to measure the amount of a specific RNA.
- This is achieved by monitoring the amplification reaction using fluorescence, a technique called real-time PCR or quantitative PCR (qPCR).