Recently, an agreement has been signed for the construction of the Lalandar [Shatoot] Dam in Afghanistan. The project is a part of the New Development Partnership between India and Afghanistan.
Lalander [Shatoot] Dam
- This dam is the second major dam being built by India in Afghanistan.
- The first was Friendship Dam [Salma Dam], which was inaugurated in June 2016.
- The Lalander [Shatoot] Dam would meet-
- the safe drinking water needs of Kabul City
- provide irrigation water to nearby areas
- rehabilitate the existing irrigation and drainage network
- aid in flood protection and management efforts in the area
- provide electricity to the region
- The signing of the MoU on Lalandar [Shatoot] Dam is a reflection of India’s strong and long-term commitment towards the socio-economic development of Afghanistan and the enduring partnership between our two countries.