Light pollution due to Satellite
- Posted By
Science & Technology
1st Apr, 2021
A new study shows that the objects which are sent to space to orbit the Earth can increase the overall brightness of the night sky by 10 % above the natural levels.
About the Report’s finding
- Light Pollution: Large fleets of communication satellites add to the light pollution as well as debris.
- Cause: The space debris and satellites adds on the light dispersion from artificial moving space objects.
- It has a large geographic reach.
- When the white light is passed through a glass prism it splits into a spectrum of colors (violet, indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red).
- The process of white light splitting into its constituent colors is known as dispersion.
- Obstruction to studies: The observatories are set far from city lights to get a good look at the dark sky.
- The growing number of artificial space objects blocks the sky and disturbs the observations.
- Light pollution is the presence of anthropogenic and artificial light during the night.
- The light alters the natural conditions of the environment.
- Cause: It gets increased by the excessive, misdirected, and obtrusive use of light.
- One of the major causes of light pollution is urbanization.
- Impacts:It is associated with compromising health, disruption in ecosystem and in spoiling environments.
Components of light pollution
- Glare: excessive brightness which causes visual discomfort
- Skyglow: It causes the brightening of the night sky over inhabited areas
- Light trespass: The light falls where it is not intended or needed
- Clutter: It comprises of accumulation of bright, confusing, and excessive groupings of light sources