- Lok Adalat is conducted by National Legal Services Authority (NALSA).
- It is an alternative method of dispute resolution.
- It is a forum where disputes pending in courts or at pre-litigation stage are settled or compromised amicably.
- Lok Adalats have been given statutory status under the Legal Services Authorities Act, 1987.
- Under the Act, the decision made by lok Adalats is deemed to be a decree of a civil court.
- The decision is final and binding on all parties and no appeal lies against such an award before any court.