In an effort to achieve the target of $5 billion defence exports and improving strategic relations with friendly foreign countries, the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) has approved the export of the indigenous `Akash’ missile system.
What is ‘Akash’ missile?
- The Akash missile is surface to air missile system.
- Range: It has a range of 25 km which helps to keep the helicopters, fighters and drones from attacking critical installations.
- Developed by: It has been designed by DRDO and has been produced by defence PSU Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL).
- Almost 96 percent of the system is manufactured indigenously.
- It has the capability to engage multiple targets in Group Mode or Autonomous Mode, simultaneously.
- It comes with built-in Electronic Counter-Counter Measures (ECCM) features.
- The whole system has been configured on mobile platforms.
- The Missile is already inducted in the Indian Air Force (2014) and the Indian Army (2015).
What has been exported previously?
- The Akash Missile system will be the first-ever weapons platform to be exported.
- But India has been building fast patrol boats, helicopters and ammunition and radars for global customers.
- The Government of India intends to focus on exporting high value defence platforms to achieve a target of 5 Billion USD of defence export and improve strategic relations with friendly foreign countries.
Significance of the move
- With the Cabinet approval, the Indian manufacturers will be able to participate in Request for Proposal/Information issued by various countries.
- Friendly nations have expressed interest in the indigenous `Akash’ missile after it has been inducted in the services. The approval would allow India to take part in tenders issued by various countries.