MeitY has enabled map services in “UMANG App '' through an MOU with MapmyIndia, to further enhance the initiatives of the Digital India Programme.
About the UMANG mobile app
- UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) is a single, unified, secure, multi-channel, multi-platform, multi-lingual, multi-service mobile app, providing access to high-impact services of various organizations (Central and State).
- The UMANG App was launchedin 2017.
- This brings major government services on a single mobile app.
- It has a larger goal to make the government accessible on mobile phones of citizens.
- It is available through Android, iOS, Web, and KaiOS platforms.
- Citizens can also access their Digilocker Accounts from UMANG and give their feedback after availing of any service through Rapid Assessment System (RAS) which has been integrated with UMANG.
- It is a product of an indigenous, company that was established in 1995.
- It has digitally mapped the entire country.
- It helps users find relevant places nearby and see them on detailed building level maps.
- MapmyIndia’s APIs enable app and technology developers to easily integrate India’s own, indigenous, Aatmanirbhar maps into their apps.
UMANG app has already started to provide map functionality through MapmyIndia in the following services:
- Mera Ration– To navigate ‘Nearest Fair Price Shops’.
- eNAM- 'Mandi Near Me' service, to navigate the nearby mandis pointed on the map.
- Damini - ‘Damini Lightning Alerts’service to provide lightning alerts to users by giving visual areas.
Maps in future
It will be shortly enabled in many more services such as:
- ESIC- Users can view hospitals/dispensaries on the map view and navigate
- Indian Oil - nearby retail and distributors of Gas stations
- NHAI: toll plazas and toll rates information
- National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) provides information to nearby police stations on the map.
- Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (Meri Sadak)will help users to raise complaints of damaged roads (under PMGSY) by selecting the road on the MapmyIndia platform.