As the cases of mucormycosis are increasing in Covid-19 patients, the Niti Aayog’s (health) member has clarified that the correlation between mucormycosis and Covid-19 is not exclusive.
About the Mucormycosis
- Fungal: It is a serious but rare fungal infection.
- It is caused by a group of molds called mucormycetes.
- These molds live throughout the environment.
- It is a fungus that breeds on wet surfaces.
- It is absolutely preventable.
- Diabetes link: It is very uncommon to happen among patients who do not have diabetes.
- Reasons: There are three factors triggering this fungal infection: uncontrolled diabetes, immunosuppression because of steroids or any other disease and exposure to a wet surface.
- Types: It is found in multiple forms on the basis of the organ it impacts
- rhinocerebral (sinus and brain) mucormycosis
- pulmonary (lung) mucormycosis
- cutaneous (skin) mucormycosis
- gastrointestinal mucormycosis
- disseminated mucormycosis
Mucorsmycosis and Covid-19
- There are reports of the fungal infection among Covid-19 patients.
- The infection affects majorly to those who have a high blood sugar level.
- The presence of Covid-19, breathing difficulty is not necessary for this infection.
- As in the Covid-19 treatment, the life-saving steroids and medicines which suppress immunity are used it tends to support the growth of the fungus.
- In addition the during the oxygen support, the humidifier also increases the chance of the fungal infection.
Suggested measures for its prevention
- Five measures to follow to minimise the chance of this infection among Covid-19 patients:
- First: the blood sugar should be under check, Covid or no Covid.
- Second: In Covid-19 treatment, the steroid should be used judiciously, only in the recommended dose and after the sixth day
- Third: The humidifier should have clean water.
- Fourth: The overall cleanliness of covid-19 patient should be maintained.
- Fifth: Any new oral ulcer should be treated immediately.