Recently, the Union Education Minister launched a 100-day Reading Campaign called ‘Padhe Bharat’.
About Padhe Bharat campaign
- Padhe Bharat Campaign was launched to improve the learning levels of students.
- Coverage: Children studying in Balvatika to class 8 will be covered under the campaign.
- Duration: The reading campaign will be organised for 100 days (14 weeks) starting from 1st January 2022 to 10th April 2022.
Promotion of local language
- The 100 days reading campaign will focus on Indian languages including mother tongue/local/regional languages.
- It is in this regard, 21st February which is celebrated as International Mother Tongue Day, has also been integrated with this campaign.
- This day will be celebrated with the activity of Kahani Padho Apni Bhasa Main (Reading story in own language) across the country by encouraging children to read in their mother tongue/local language.
National Education Policy
- This Campaign is in alignment with the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020.
- The policy emphasises on promotion of joyful reading culture for children by ensuring availability of age appropriate reading books for children in local/mother tongue/regional/tribal Language.
Significance of the initiative
- It marks a significant step to improve learning levels because it develops creativity, critical thinking, vocabulary as well as ability to express in writing & verbal forms.
- It will help children in relating to their surroundings and real-life situations.
- This will help in promoting the local language and culture of our society.