PM dedicates Rewari - Madar section of Western Dedicated Freight Corridor to the Nation
- Posted By
8th January, 2021
Indian Railways' new 306 km long Rewari-Madar section of the western dedicated freight corridor has been inaugurated.
About the Section
- The Rewari-Madar section of the western dedicated freight corridor is situated in the two states of:
- Haryana (almost 79 kilometres, in the districts of Mahendragarh and Rewari)
- Rajasthan (around 227 kilometres, in the districts of Jaipur, Nagaur, Ajmer, Alwar, Sikar)
- The section consists of nine newly built dedicated freight corridor stations.
A brief picture of the ‘Big Plan’
- Dedicated freight corridor (DFC) is meant to create a safe and efficient freight transportation system in the country.
- Currently, the Western DFC connecting Haryana and Maharashtra and the Eastern DFC connecting Punjab and West Bengal are under construction.
- The combined length of the Western and Eastern DFCs is approximately 3360 route km.
- The following DFCs are being planned:
- North-South (Delhi-Tamil Nadu)
- East-West (West Bengal-Maharashtra)
- East-South (West Bengal-Andhra Pradesh)
- South-South (Tamil Nadu-Goa)
- The Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Limited (DFCCIL) is carrying out the construction of eastern and western DFC for the movement of freight trains.
The progress so far
- Only Western and Eastern DFCs are under construction right now.
- On December 29, the 351-km New Bhaupur-New Khurja section was inaugurated.
- On January 7, the stretch of the DFC for commercial operations, between Haryana's Rewari and Rajasthan's Madar is inaugurated.
- Western and Eastern DFCs are expected to be completed by March 2022.
Significance of the development
- Effective usage of containers: This stretch will benefit various industries in Narnaul, Rewari – Manesar, Kishangarh as well as Phulera areas of Rajasthan and Haryana and will also enable efficient usage of the container depot of CONCOR at Kathuwas.
- Connectivity with western ports in Gujarat: The freight corridor section will also ensure connectivity with the western ports of Pipavav, Kandla, Mundhra, and Dahej located in Gujarat.
- Seamless connectivity between western and eastern corridor: With the inauguration of the Rewari-Madar section, seamless connectivity between the western and eastern dedicated freight corridor will be achieved
- A Special Purpose Vehicle for construction, operation and maintenance of the dedicated freight corridors was formed in the form of "Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Limited (DFCCIL)".
- DFCC was incorporated as a company under the Companies Act 1956 on 30th October 2006.
As the dedicated agency to make the vision into reality, DFCCIL's mission is:
- To build a corridor with appropriate technology that enables Indian railways to regain its market share of freight transport by creating additional capacity and guaranteeing efficient, reliable, safe and cheaper options for mobility to its customers.
- To set up Multimodal logistic parks along the DFC to provide complete transport solution to customers.
- To support the government's initiatives toward ecological sustainability by encouraging users to adopt railways as the most environment friendly mode for their transport requirements.