PM inaugurates 44th Chess Olympiad
- Posted By
Polity & Governance
30th Jul, 2022
Recently, the Prime Minister inaugurated the 44th Chess Olympiad in Chennai.
About 44th Chess Olympiad
- This is the first time the Chess Olympiad is being held in the place of origin of chess, India.
- It is coming to Asia for the first time in 3 decades.
- It has the highest ever number of countries participating.
- It has the highest ever number of teams participating.
- It has the highest number of entries in the women’s section.
- The event is organised by the Fédération Internationale des Échecs (FIDE).
- Tamil Nadu has a strong historical connection with chess.
- This is why it is a chess powerhouse for India.
- It has produced many of India’s chess grandmasters.
- It is home to the finest minds, vibrant culture and the oldest language in the world, Tamil.
- The International Chess Federation (FIDE) is the governing body of the sport of chess, and itregulates all international chess competitions.
- It's constituted as a non-governmental institution.
- It was recognized by the International Olympic Committee as a Global Sporting Organization in 1999.
- FIDE currently has its headquarters in Lausanne (Switzerland), but it was initially founded in 1924 in Paris under the motto “Gens Una Sumus” (Latin for “We are one Family”).
- It was one of the very first International Sports Federations, alongside the governing bodies of the sports of Football, Cricket, Swimming, and Auto Racing. It is now one of the largest, encompassing 199 countries as affiliate members, in the form of National Chess Federations.
Government initiatives in the sports sector
- Fit India Movement: Fit India Movement is a nationwide movement in India to encourage people to remain healthy and fit by including physical activities and sports in their daily lives.
- Khelo India Scheme:The Khelo India Scheme was initiated in 2016 post the fusion of three earlier schemes – Rajiv Gandhi Khel Abhiyan (RGKA), Urban Sports Infrastructure Scheme (USIS), and National Sports Talent Search Scheme (NSTSS).
- This scheme was focused on increasing mass participation of youth in annual sports games and competitions.
- Sports Talent Search Portal:The portal allows youngsters to upload their achievements.
- Those who get shortlisted are then called for trials and the qualified candidates then take part in the schemes of the Sports Authority of India (SAI).
- Empowered Steering Committee on Sports: The Committee is answerable for preparing a far-reaching action plan for the powerful participation of Indian players in the Olympic Games of 2021 (Tokyo), 2024 (Paris), and 2028 (Los Angeles).
- National Sports Awards Scheme: The Government acknowledges and respects sports personalities with the Arjuna Awards, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Dhyan Chand Awards, and Dronacharya Awards for their achievements and commitments as sportspersons and coaches in the field of sports.
- Sports and Games for Persons with Disabilities Scheme: The differently-abled sportspersons are trained in their field for conducting sports competitions and assisting schools and institutes having differently-abled sportspersons.
- Target Olympic Podium Scheme: It is under the National Sports Development Fund (NSDF) to help the potential medal possibilities for the Olympic Games of 2016 and 2020.
- The main centre is given to Athletics, Badminton, Boxing, Archery, Wrestling, and Shooting sports.