The Weavers are re-designing the Bhavani Jamkkalam, a GI-tagged product, to playful fabric blends and color patterns, for securing it from vanishing out completely.
About the Bhavani Jamakkalam
- Bhavani Jamakkalam isreferred to blankets and carpets which are manufactured in Bhavani, Tamil Nadu.
- GI- Tag: Bhavani Jamakkalam is a GI-tagged product that was recognized as a Geographical indication by the government in 2005-6.
- Weaving Community: A community of weavers called Jangamars
- Basic material: The blanket is weaved by using colored coarse threads which are called Jamakkalam.Two types of jamakkalams are produced in Bhavani.
- The first type is made from coarser cotton threads.
- The second type is made of artificial silk threads.
- Loom: A pit loomis used to weave jamakkalams which are made of wood.
- Protection: The hand weaved jamakkalams from Bhavani have faced competition from the power-loom products. So, the Government of Tamil Nadu enacted laws to outlaw the use of power looms.
- Now, producing it in power looms violates the Handloom (Reservation of Articles for Production) Act, 1985.
Geographical indication (GI)
- It is a sign given to products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin.
- Geographical indications are typically used for agricultural products, foodstuffs, wine and spirit drinks, handicrafts, and industrial products.
- In India, Darjeeling tea was given the first GI tagged product, in 2004-05.
- India enacted the Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999 has come into force with effect from 15 September 2003.
- GIs have been defined under Article 22 (1) of the WTO agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) Agreement.
- It is also covered as an element of IPRs under Articles 1 (2) and 10 of the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property.
- In India, GI tags are issued by the Geographical Indication Registry under the Department of Industry Promotion and Internal Trade, Ministry of Commerce and Industry.