Silk-protein-based tumour models for testing out cancer
- Posted By
Science & Technology
8th Feb, 2021
Researchers from IIT Guwahati have come up with silk-protein–based tumour3D model for testing cancer drugs.
Key features of the Model
- Bio-activity: It involves fabrication of a bio-active composite of silk proteins from two species of silk moths.
- 3-D base: It builds a scaffold that provides a three-dimensional base for growing tumours.
- Imitate native environment: This 3D silk-based tumour model imitates native tumour microenvironment, complex tumour physiology and metastasis, thus improving drug screening efficacy.
- Normally, cancer drugs are tested using patient-derived primary cancer cells, on tumours induced in animal models or on genetically modified organisms.
- These models are insufficient to reproduce the three-dimensional morphology and physiology of human tumours.