Sixth BRICS Parliamentary Forum
- Posted By
28th Oct, 2020
Participants of the 6th BRICS Parliamentary Forum discussed partnership for global stability
- The Forum was held under the Russian BRICS Chairmanship in 2020. The meeting was held via videoconference for the first time.
- The Indian Parliamentary delegation under the leadership of Lok Sabha speaker Om Birla attended the sixth BRICS Parliamentary Forum.
- It was chaired by the Chairman of State Duma of the Federal Assembly of Russia.
- The speakers and members of other BRICS parliaments such as Brazil, China and South Africa participated in the meeting.
- The forum discussed improvement in quality of life of people in BRICS countries, social protection of citizens during COVID-19 pandemic, preparation of legislative initiatives in the area of public health care and economic rehabilitation in the post COVID-19 period.
- This includes support measures to MSMEs and development of future Parliamentary cooperation among BRICS countries.
- Recently, the New Development Bank provided a loan of 1 billion USD to India to fight COVID-19.
- The loan was approved under “Emergency Assistance Programme” of the New Development Bank.