Slow and Steady loss of race of Indian Star Tortoises
- Posted By
5th Apr, 2021
A recent study shows that the Indian Star Tortoises (Geocheloneelegansare vanishing slowly and steadily.
About the Indian Star Tortoise
- India is home to the Indian star tortoise’s largest wild population. The natural range of these tortoises encompasses India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.
- Features: It shows certain characteristic features such as:
- characteristically ornate carapace
- an adaptation for camouflage
- survival in arid deciduous habitats
- Threat: This species is quite popular in the exotic pet trade, which is the main reason it is endangered.
- Conservation Status:
- Appendix I of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).
- It is placed in schedule IV of India’s Wildlife (Protection) Act 1972.
- It is placed in the Critically Endangered category of IUCN.