Twindemic: link between air pollution, COVID-19
- Posted By
10th Nov, 2020
- Studies show that air pollution increases susceptibility to COVID-19 andother ailments by damaging the heart and lungs in the long-term.
Key-highlights of the Study
- The study was published in
- It found traces of SARS-CoV-2 RNA, the genetic material of the coronavirus on air pollutants.
- Air pollution was acting as a hidden element in intensifying the impact of COVID-19.
- Air pollutants can carry the novel coronavirus’ genetic material.
- Studies have also concluded that COVID-19 deaths could increase due to long-term exposure to PM.
- Two studies in the United States prove that air pollutants like nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and PM 2.5 were likely to enhance populations’ susceptibility to severe COVID-19 death outcomes.
What precautions are required?
- Besides maintaining hygiene, washing hands and maintaining social distancing, wearing masks is essential to reduce the risk of transmitting COVID-19.