Union Budget 2021-22: India to launch Hydrogen Energy Mission
- Posted By
6th Feb, 2021
The Hydrogen Energy Mission will be launched in 2021-22. With this, India is going to join the race for producing the next big energy source.
- Hydrogen energyinvolves the use of hydrogen and/or hydrogen-containing compounds to generate energy.
- Hydrogen fuel is a zero-carbon fuel burned with oxygen.
- It can be used in fuel cells or internal combustion engines.
- It has begun to be used in commercial fuel cell vehicles, such as passenger cars, and has been used in fuel cell buses for many years.
- It is also used as a fuel for spacecraft propulsion.
Significance of Hydrogen Energy Mission
- De-carbonization: It will help to decarbonize heavy industries like steel and cement.
- Enhanced electric mobility: It is a key to clean electric mobility.
- Reduction in mineral-based energy: reduced dependency on minerals and rare-earth element-based battery.
- Zero-emission: its usage would lead to zero emissions.
- A cheap source of energy:Hydrogen can be generated from many sources. But, under the mission, Hydrogen will be generated from green sources. The reduced costs of renewable power raise the interest in it.
- Nationally Determined Contributions: Green hydrogen energy is vital for India to meet its Nationally Determined Contributions.