US prepares for Armenian genocide recognition
- Posted By
23rd Apr, 2021
The US President Joe Biden is preparing for a formal acknowledgement of the Armenian Genocide.
About the Armenian genocide
- Time Period: The Armenian Genocide took place in between 1915 to 1922, during the First World War.
- They were deported by Ottoman Turks from eastern Anatolia.
- Extent: In the Genocide, the systematic killing and deportation of hundreds of thousands of Armenians took place by the Ottoman Empire, more than a century ago.
What is the significance of the acknowledgement?
- It would be a cause for embarrassment for the country and perhaps giving other countries the impetus to also acknowledge the genocide.
- The move is expected to stop countries to go for any such move in future.
- This is expected to recognize the genocide by other nations such as India who had not recognized it yet.
- The acknowledgement by US government would have little legal impact on Turkey as it is not legally binding.
- While the recognition of the Genocide by the US is symbolic, it would mean much for the Armenian diaspora, which is in significant proportion in US.
How it could impact the US relations with turkey?
- The move could set back the already strained relationship between Washington D.C. and Ankara, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization allies.
- The relations are already under strain due to Turkey’s purchase of Russian S-400defence systems, foreign policy differences with regard to Syria, human rights and other intersecting legal issues.
- Turkey could also slow non-NATO operations at Incirlik Air Base, located in Adana, which American forces use as a base and a station for equipment in the region.
- Turkey could initiate military action against Kurdish fighters allied with US forces in northeast Syria.
- The North Atlantic Treaty Organization is also called the North Atlantic Alliance.
- It is an intergovernmental military alliance between the 30 European and North American countries.
- The organization implements North Atlantic Treaty which was signed on 4 April 1949.
- NATO constitutes a system of collective defence whereby its independent member states agree to mutual defence in response to an attack by any external party.
- NATO's Headquarters are located in Brussels, Belgium.