Web 5.0 – the blockchain-powered digital network
- Posted By
Science & Technology
14th Jun, 2022
Former Twitter CEO recently announced his vision for a new decentralized web platform that is being called Web 5.0 and is being built with an aim to return “ownership of data and identity to individuals”.
What is Web 5.0?
- Web 5.0 is Web 2.0 plus Web 3.0 that will allow users to ‘own their identity’ on the Internet and ‘control their data’.
- Both Web 3.0 and Web 5.0 envision an Internet without threat of censorship – from governments or big tech, and without fear of significant outages.
- Web 5.0 is aimed at “building an extra decentralized web that puts you in control of your data and identity”.
- There was a difference between Web 5.0 and Web 3.0, is that Web 3.0 isn’t truly decentralized or owned by its users, but is instead controlled by various “venture capitalists and limited partners”.
About Web 1.0, Web 2.0 and Web 3.0
- Web 1.0
- Web 1.0 was the first generation of the global digital communications network.
- It is often referred to as the “read-only” Internet made of static web-pages that only allowed for passive engagement.
- Web 2.0
- The next stage in the evolution of the web was the “read and write” Internet.
- Users were now able to communicate with servers and other users leading to the creation of the social web.
- This is the world wide web (WWW) that we use today.
- Web 3.0
- Web 3.0 is an evolving term that is used to refer to the next generation of Internet – a “read-write-execute” web – with decentralization as its bedrock.
- It speaks about a digital world, built leveraging the blockchain technology, where people are able to interact with each other without the need of an intermediary.
- Web 3.0 will be driven by Artificial Intelligence and machine learning where machines will be able to interpret information like humans.
What are the use cases for Web 5.0 – The Intelligent / Emotional (Symbiotic) Web?
- Web 5.0 will see applications able to interpret information on more complex levels, emotionally as well as logically.
- This is the Web that acts in true symbiosis with daily life, without a thought, organically intertwined with what we do.
- Artificial Intelligence enables computers to communicate like a person, but the technology that enables them to think, reason, and respond on their own, in a human way, is not as far away as you might guess.
- Web 5.0 will also focus on the individual, perhaps allowing a website to convey a different experience for each different person.
- It could perceive the emotions of an individual and respond appropriately, and it could detect subtleties that enable more powerful interactions.
- Web 5.0 is a vision of the not-so-far-off future, but time will tell what this new technology will truly bring.